Programme Leader /Ketua Program :
Prof. Dr. Noordin Mohamed Mustapha - Veterinary Pathology
Name of Co-Researcher / Nama Penyelidik
1. Prof. Dr. Saleha Abd. Aziz - Veterinary Public Health
2. Prof. Dato' Dr. Mohd Azmi Mohd Lila - Veterinary Virology
3. - Animal Breeding & Statistics
4. Prof. Dr. Mohd Zamri Saad - Veterinary Pathology
5. Prof. Dr. Latiffah Hassan - Veterinary Epidemiology
6. Prof. Dr. Zunita Zakaria - Bacteriology & Molecular Biology
7. Prof. Dr. Jalila Abu - Avian Medicine
8. Dr. Reuben Sunil Kumar Sharma - Veterinary Parasitology
" The complexity of zoonotic and emerging diseases warranted an effective preparedness in handling an outbreak. The factors that contribute to their occurrences include microbial, environmental, host and population dynamics as well as ease of worldwide travel and breakdown in control measures. Moreover, the changes in transmission dynamics bring into a closer and a more frequent contact with zoonotic pathogens, which are involved in 75% of the outbreaks.
Thus, with respect to the changes observed, four major areas need to be explored, which are rapid detection, improved surveillance, good early warning and appropriate response. Investigation on emergent pandemic infection threat and pathogen discovery are also emphasised as the pro-active phase in predicting and controlling/eradicating an outbreak of a zoonotic and/or emerging disease."
Keynotes: zoonotic, emerging, preparedness
1. Noordin, M.N., Gan, C.H. and Ong, B.L. (2000)
Nipah virus infection of pigs in Peninsular Malaysia. Rev. Sci. Tech. Off. Int. Epiz. 2000, 19, pp. 160-165.
2. Noordin, M.M., Shahirudin, S., Zeenathul, A., Arshad, A.A. & Kamarudin, A.I (2009).
Emerging diseases of goats in Malaysia. The 1st Malaysian Association of Veterinary Pathologist Conference, 15-17 May 2009, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
3. Plumeriastuti H, Zamri-Saad M (2012).
Detection of Brucella melitensis in seropositive goats. Online Journal of Veterinary Research 16(1): 1-7
4. Shah, A.H., A.A. Saleha, Z. Zunita and M. Murugaiyah (2011)
Arcobacter - an emerging threat to animals and animal origin food products. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 22 : 225 - 236
5. Yitbarek, G., Latiffah Hassan, Zunita Zakaria and Norina Lokman (2010)
Species distribution and resistance phenotypes of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus isolated from pigs in Pulau Pinang, Malaysia. Pertanika Journal of Tropical Agricultural Science, 33 : 15 - 25.
Updated:: 12/11/2019 [mjamil]