1. Professor Dr .Rasedee Abdullah - Haematology and Clinical Biochemistry Veterinary Medicine
2. Professor Dr. Noordin Mustapha - Veterinary Pathology
3. Professor Dato' Dr. Mohd. Azmi M.Lila - Virology
4. Professor Dr. Tengku Azmi Tengku Ibrahim - Histology
5. Assoc. Professor Dr. Gayathri Thevi Selvarajah - Small Animal Medicine (Oncology)
6. Assoc. Professor Dr. Hazilawati Hamzah Senior - Veterinary Clinical Pathology
7. Assoc. Professor Dr. Mohd. Hezmee Mohd Noor - Veterinary Pharmacology
The main research areas are in the investigation of mechanisms of development, detection, monitoring, and treatment of animal cancers. The mechanisms of cancer development are investigated by determining pathways and molecules involved in cancer proliferation and regression. These pathways and molecules will serve as targets for intervention and induction therapies for cancers. In the early detection and monitoring of cancer development, several serum biomarkers have been identified, which have potential to be developed into diagnostic kits.
The efficacies of new anticancer synthetic and natural compounds are aso investigated in dogs, cats, mice and rats with natural occurring and induced cancers. Some of these compounds will be packaged in new and innovative nanoparticle delivery systems for more effective therapies.
The research also involves preclinical trials in the development of animal and human cancer therapeutics that would eventually culminate in commercialization.
Keywords : animal cancer, biomarkers, therapeutics
Current Research Grant
1. Ismail AA, Chung YL, Ahmad Bustamam Abdul, Cheah FK, Wong WF, Sukari MA, Rasedee Abdullah, Syam M, Suvita S, A Arya, Elhassa Taha MM, Muharram B, Musatafa MR and Abdelwahab SI (2012). Dentatine induces apoptosis in prostate cancer cells via BcL-2, Bcl-xL, Survivin downregulation, caspase-9, -3/7 activation and NF-κB inhibition. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. doi:10:1155/2012/856029.
2. Elthayeb EM Eid, Ahmad Bustamam Abdul, Fakhr Eldin O. Suliman, Mohd A. Sukari, Rasedee Abdullah and Safa S. Fatah (2011). Characterization of the inclusion complex of zerumbone with hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin. Carbohydrate polymers 83: 1707-1714.
3. Selvarajah GT, Verheije MH, Kik M, Slob A, Rottier PJ, Mol JA, Kirpensteijn J. (2012). Expression of epidermal growth factor receptor in canine osteosarcoma: Association with clinicopathological parameters and prognosis. Veterinary Journal 193(2):412-419.
4. Mohd Hezmee MN, Kyaw-Tanner M, Lee Ian, Shiels A, Rolfe B, Woodruff T and Mills PC (2011). Increased expression of C5a receptor (CD88) mRNA in canine mammary tumors. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 139 (1): 50-56.
5. Manal Mohamed Elhassan Taha, Ahmad Bustamam Abdul, Rasedee Abdullah, Tengku Azmi Tengku Ibrahim, Siddig Ibrahim Abdelwahab and Syam Mohan (2010). Potential chemoprevention of diethynitrosamine-initiated and 2-acetylaminofluorent-promoted hepatocarcinogenesis by zerumbone from the rhizomes of the subtropical ginger (Zingiber zerumbet). Chemico-biological Interactions, 183(3): 295-305.
Kemaskini:: 05/03/2018 [mjamil]